Tuesday, May 4, 2010

I Believe

There comes a moment
When my heart must stand alone
On this lonely path I've chosen
Like a house thats not a home

Sometimes when I feel I've had enough
And I feel like giving up
You willed me to be all I can be
Now nothing can stop me

I believe in the power that comes
From a world brought together as one
I believe together we'll fly
I believe in the power of you and I

This is the moment we have dreamed of all our lives
We'll be the change we wish from others
We'll stand tall for what is right
And in my heart there'll be no doubt
The arms of the world will come reaching out
And embrace me to be all I can be
Now nothing can stop me

I believe in the power that comes
From a world brought together as one
I believe together we'll fly
I believe in the power of you and I
I believe in the power of you and I

I believe, I believe, I believe in..
I believe, I believe in you
I believe, I believe, I believe in..
I believe, I believe in you
I believe, I believe, I believe in you

I believe together we'll fly
I believe in the power of you and I
I believe the time is right now
To stand tall and make the world proud
I believe together we'll fly
I believe in the power

I believe in the power that comes
From a world brought together as one
(Of you and I)

I believe together we'll fly
I believe in the power of you and I
(Power)

I believe the time is right now
(Of you and I)
Stand tall and make the world proud

I believe together well fly
(Together we'll fly)
I believe in the power of you and I
I believe in the power of you and I

By Nikki Yanofsky


This is an example of a ballad. A ballad is a simple narrative poem in short stanzas of popular origin, which usually rhymes and is meant to be sung. As well, ballads often have a refrain (chorus). I chose this particular ballad to go with my theme, first of all because it was sung so frequently during the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games. This is definitely a ballad that Canadians and people all over the world will remember for years to come, as it was informally named the 'theme song' for the 2010 Olympics. This song is about bringing the whole world together, and believing that anything can happen when everyone works as a team. This relates to the athletes as well, because in order to become not only olympians, but olympic medallists they had to believe that it was possible, and they had to work together with their coaches for years in advance. This ballad, once again, evokes the feeling of unity and of believing that anything can happen; even olympic dreams can be fulfilled. This ballad doesn't have a lot of literary devices, but it does have a lot of repetition, seeing as there is a refrain (chorus). There is a lot of assonance as well in the song, but there aren't many more poetic devices used.




8 comments:

  1. I like how you chose such a popular song and used it! I remember listening to this a lot during the Olympics. It will definitely resonate with me for years to come. I agree that it does have a lot of repetition, and I mean a lot, but I like how it really makes you believe too because she appears to believe so strongly.
    I like the theme you chose! This will be a really neat calendar. I can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a perfect choice for your theme, and it's a good example of a ballad as well. Like Ari said, this song will impact a lot of people, and it kind of represents the Olympics themselves in that way. Good job, and i'm excited to see what your finished calendar looks like!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this song, especially during the Olympics. It definitely ties into your theme very nicely, and is inspiring. The repetition is good because it really drills the message into your head and makes the whole piece stronger. Your theme is very creative, and I like your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love this song, it was sung beautifully during the olympics. I think it's a great poem to suit your theme and I like the repetition because it creates something everyone can sing along to. Great poem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea, this is definetly a song type of poem. The repition in the song really does help to epmhasive what the speaker believes in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this was a really good choice of poem for your theme. The words of this song is really moving and powerful, and this is a song that will be remembered for a very long time. Your analysis was spot on. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah one of my favourite songs from the olympics. I believed that this song should have been played at the opening olympics. The song itself is very catchy and very inspiring. Saying that you should alweays believe in yourself no matter what.

    Great choice mara!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really a great song, and I thought it fit in with your theme perfectly. I agree that it is quite influential and does exhibit a feeling of unity. I also see the repetition and assonance, which I believe add to the strength of the message conveyed in the song.

    ReplyDelete