Monday, May 3, 2010

Olympic Hymn


Olympian flame immortal
Whose beacon lights our way
Emblaze our hearts with the fires of hope
On this momentous day

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

Sing out each nation, voices strong
Rise up in harmony
All hail our brave Olympians
With strains of victory

Olympic light burn on and on
O'er seas and mountains and plains
Unite, inspire, bring honor
To these ascending games

-author unknown

This poem is an example of an hymn. An hymn is type of poem, in the form of a song, usually a song of praise to God, to a Saint, or to a nation. In this case, the Olympic Hymn (the translated English version) is a song of praise to the entire world and its love of sports. This hymn evokes the spirit that the olympics bring to the entire world, as everyone unites as a whole to witness history being made and dreams being fulfilled. I chose this as one of my poems, as it ties in well with my theme for the calendar (the olympics). I made this my first poem because it follows the logical sequence of events in the olympics: it is the hymn sung at every opening ceremony of the olympic games. Some literary devices in this hymn are: assonance (as now we come across the world; in brotherhood unfold; unite, inspire, bring honour; etc), repetition (burn on and on; seas and mountains and plains), personification (olympic flame immortal), metaphors (whose beacon lights our way).

4 comments:

  1. Mara I really liked this poem it really reminds me of the Olympics which was such a fun time. I think you did a great job analyzing this poem and I really like your theme. I am very excited to see your calender. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting theme choice Mara, I think this one fits nicely in it. I liked this poem you chose, and it might be because I think I am, and other as well, feel nostalgic of the games and sad that they are over. I think this poems really shows what the Olympics are really about, and your analysis of it was good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this poem, and yeah this fits your theme perfectly. You described it well, I think it's very inspirational. You didn't talk about this but I liked the word choice in the poem (immortal, beacon, emblaze) as the author could have used simpler words but these pack so much more meaning. I like how they compared the relationship between nations to a brotherhood as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think what makes this poem seem so real is that fact that the olympics just took place here in vancouver, so everyone has such fond and close memories to it. The strenght in each line, and the language used makes it all feel so meaningful. The first stanza was my favorite, i could really picture the olympic flame burning bright! good poem choice, fits nicely with the theme!

    ReplyDelete